Once You Have Your F-1 Visa


Once You Have Your F-1 Visa

Leaving home for graduate study is an exciting, but sometimes intimidating process. When a student leaves both home and country to study, he or she may find language, social, personal, and cultural adjustment overwhelming at times. We hope that the information in this section will help to facilitate this adjustment as much as possible.

Please be aware that immigration is a complex area of US law, and that the material presented here should be used only as a source of general information. For guidance related to your specific circumstances, we encourage you to contact the International Students Coordinator.

There are a few external websites that may be helpful to you when preparing for your move to Boston:

Study in the States – The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) created this website, intended to provide guidance and information for international students studying in the United States.

The City of Boston’s official website includes a section for International Students. This website is intended to help with the transition of moving to Boston, and to provide helpful information to make your stay in Boston as enjoyable as possible.

NOTE: It is important to be aware that only web sites ending with “.gov” are official U.S. government web sites. The web address of the official USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services, formerly BCIS or INS) is www.uscis.gov. Other web sites that may look like US government web sites but are not genuine may give you inaccurate or misleading information about immigration regulations, or may try to charge you for forms that are otherwise free.